The British Association of Spinal Surgeons (BASS) and the British Scoliosis Society (BSS) offers senior residents, spinal fellows and junior consultants a chance to have extensive exposure to complex spinal procedures at established spinal units over two weeks. The fellowship programme includes mandatory attendance at the following BritSpine meeting. The programme rotates between established orthopaedic and neurosurgical spinal centers allowing significant contact between fellows and leaders in the field. The fellowship will take place in late February – early March 2016 around spinal centers in the North of the country between Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle culminating at the President’s institute in Norwich.
1. To apply, please submit CVs along with personal statement describing career pathway, interests and future plans.
2. Letter of recommendation from supervising consultant/ clinical lead.
3. Application to be sent to Julia Bloomfield at email@example.com by 15th October 2015. Selected candidates would be informed in early December 2015.
1. Applicants should be members of BASS/BOA/SBNS/local spine society
2. Applicants should be post-FRCS exam senior residents, clinical spinal fellows or junior consultants in the first two years of their appointment.
3. Previously unsuccessful applicants can apply again.
4. The fellowship cannot be awarded retrospectively.
1. BASS will reimburse travelling expenses upto £1000. These need to be claimed within 6 months of the fellowship. Detailed financial arrangement will be provided to successful candidates.
2. International fellows need to pay for their flights to the UK.
3. By accepting the Fellowship, all awardees are agreeing not to partake in any activities that will bring the BASS and/or the sponsors into disrepute. The BASS accepts no liability for the actions of the candidates while on the Fellowship, or for activities related to it.
4. Each Fellows will need to submit a report of about 500 words in 6 weeks from the completion of the fellowship, which maybe published on the BASS website.